Enforcing repairs yourself

There are a number of options for enforcing repairs that you can take yourself, some with legal help. There are other solutions that can only be implemented by your local council.

Making other owners join a repairs scheme

The options you can use yourself to enforce repairs are:

  • the Duty to Maintain
  • Notice of Potential Liability for Costs
  • the obligations to maintain contained in your title deeds
  • emergency repair procedures

All councils will be willing to give help and advice around repairs, but may not have the budget to assist all owners. Consider taking action yourself first, perhaps with advice from your council.

Before following the information on this page, you should have already:

Duty to Maintain

Every owner has a duty to maintain the parts of the tenement that provide support and shelter. This would apply to leaking roofs, rot in structural timbers, leaks around individuals’ windows etc.

This duty can be enforced by other affected owners and does not require majority agreement, though this should be sought wherever possible.

This is a very powerful legal protection for your tenement, but you may need to seek help to enforce it.

Maintenance must be reasonable, so an individual owner may argue that it is not reasonable to maintain given the dilapidation of the building and the high cost of repair.

In a recent court case, a Sheriff also ruled that the duty to maintain could only be used to enforce patch repairs, even though this appeared to be not in the owners’ best interests as a whole.

If you do not agree, you can ask the Sheriff Court to decide who is right.

Legal reference

Enforcing the duty to maintain

When an appropriate repair is required:

  • remind owners of their legal duty
    • if talking to your co-owners has no effect, writing may be more effective
    • adapt the downloadable duty to maintain letter to suit your circumstances
  • if your co-owners don’t respond, ask your council for help

If your council can’t or won’t help, this is what you do:

Getting help

If you have got as far as sending the bill for a repair but got no response and your council is unable to help, consider taking legal action. You may wish to discuss this with a solicitor first.

Legal reference

Notice of Potential Liability

Owners are responsible for paying for repairs as soon as a properly agreed decision to go ahead with work is reached. However, if an owner sells and moves, it may be difficult to contact them to get them to pay for their share of repair costs.

You can overcome this problem by serving a ‘Notice of Potential Liability for Repairs’. This notice makes the selling owner and the new owner jointly responsible for the repair costs. Any owner in the same building, or your property manager, can serve this notice.

You need to serve this notice through Registers of Scotland. The cost of registering the notice is £60 per flat and needs to be lodged at least 14 days before the sale takes place. The notice lasts for three years but can be renewed. It can only be served by another owner in the same building or the property manager.

You may need to get legal help to lodge a notice like this, as the accompanying registration documents are complicated.

If you are working well with existing owners, you are advised to discuss the use of this safeguard with them first.

Some property managers also use this notice as a way of enforcing repairs as it means costs can be recovered on sale of the flat.

Legal reference

Emergency repairs

As always, check your title deeds to see if they make reference to emergencies. If not, this is what you do.

In the case of emergency work, any owner can instruct work and recover the costs from others. Emergency works are those defined as repairs which:

  • can’t wait for a scheme decision to be made
  • are required to prevent damage to your building
  • are in the interests of health and safety

If you live in a building where it is easy to contact other owners, it should be possible to go through proper procedures to get majority agreement before carrying out the emergency work. In this case, the definition of what is an emergency will be more strictly drawn in terms of ‘life and limb’.

Where it is very hard and time consuming to contact your co-owners, the definition of emergency repairs could include works required to prevent damage to the building.

After you have carried out the emergency work, you should write to other owners and explain why you took emergency action, and other details about the repair when sending the bill.

If you have to do an emergency repair and you’re able to get a surveyor or technical professional to take a look immediately at the issue, this may help you if you need to go to court to recover costs from other owners reluctant to pay their share of the repair.

Legal reference

Help from your council to enforce repairs

Your council has a number of powers it can use to enforce repairs. These can include compulsory repairs and paying Missing Shares.

However, not every council has the resources to follow up. This can stop a council from taking the action both you and they would want.

You should not let this stop you approaching your council for help as staff can be a useful source of advice and can help mediate a problem.

Your council also has powers to recover costs that are not available to individuals.

900 600 Under One Roof

Ask for help from our team of tenement experts

Managing and maintaining a tenement building can be difficult. Under One Roof offers a free enquiry service that allows you to ask specific questions relating to your building.

Ask an expert
Privacy policy
Terms of service

Mid ceiling

Below ground level

Your tenement may have a basement, sometimes used for living accommodation or sometimes used for storage, cellars or wash-houses. These buildings will often also have a 'dunny' between the basement…

905 800 Under One Roof

Energy efficiency improvements

Adding insulation and draught-proofing can save money and the planet but in…

2560 1707 Under One Roof

Insulating traditional solid walls

Recent research suggests that traditional solid stone or brick walls provide better…

2560 1707 Under One Roof

Flat roofs

Flat roofs can be found on buildings of all ages. They can…

406 305 Under One Roof

Asphalt flat roofs

On stone tenements, asphalt roofs are found on: 'high backs' - raised backcourt…

406 305 Under One Roof
Start typing
Privacy Preferences

When you visit our website, it may store information through your browser from specific services, usually in the form of cookies. Here you can change your Privacy preferences. It is worth noting that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our website and the services we are able to offer.

Our website uses cookies, mainly from 3rd party services. Define your Privacy Preferences and/or agree to our use of cookies.