Councils have the power to pay Missing Shares where a minority of owners do not pay their share of common repairs.

When can the council pay Missing Shares?

Your council can use Missing Shares when:

  • one or more owners are unwilling or unable to pay
  • the owner cannot be found after reasonable enquiries
  • it is unreasonable to ask an owner to pay

If you think you might need this kind of help, do check with your council first of all as not all will use this power. You must make your application before work starts (try their Private Sector Housing team or Environmental Health Services).

The council can only make these payments if:

  • owners have followed all the proper procedures in setting up repairs (but you should be doing this anyway)
  • a majority of owners have agreed to repairs
  • the repair work is required
  • each owner is being asked to pay their correct share of costs
  • work has not yet started

Your council may give you a ‘letter of comfort’ saying that they will pay missing shares if required.

Many councils will only pay into a joint maintenance account.

  1. Check that your council has a policy of using Missing Shares powers.
  2. Follow all proper procedures to get agreement and arrange the repairs.
  3. Write to owners saying they must pay their share into the maintenance account (some call this a Section 50 Notice).
  4. If some owners are unwilling or unable to pay, make a formal application to the council for Missing Shares.
  5. Once you have Missing Shares approval, get the works carried out.
  6. Get majority agreement of owners to pay the final bill.
  7. Send the bill to owners and wait for the final date to make payment.
  8. If no payment is received, go back to the council and ask them to use the Missing Shares power they have previously agreed to.
  9. The council will generally pay the appropriate amount into your maintenance account.
  10. The council will then recover the costs from the non-paying owner, probably using a repayment order.

Expect some minor differences in procedure between different councils.

What happens if the council can’t or won’t use Missing Shares?

See Enforcing repairs for other means of getting owners to pay for required repairs.

Legal reference

1200 800 Under One Roof

Ask for help from our team of tenement experts

Managing and maintaining a tenement building can be difficult. Under One Roof offers a free enquiry service that allows you to ask specific questions relating to your building.

Ask an expert
Privacy policy
Terms of service

Mid ceiling

Below ground level

Your tenement may have a basement, sometimes used for living accommodation or sometimes used for storage, cellars or wash-houses. These buildings will often also have a 'dunny' between the basement…

905 800 Under One Roof

Energy efficiency improvements

Adding insulation and draught-proofing can save money and the planet but in…

2560 1707 Under One Roof

Insulating traditional solid walls

Recent research suggests that traditional solid stone or brick walls provide better…

2560 1707 Under One Roof

Flat roofs

Flat roofs can be found on buildings of all ages. They can…

406 305 Under One Roof

Asphalt flat roofs

On stone tenements, asphalt roofs are found on: 'high backs' - raised backcourt…

406 305 Under One Roof
Start typing
Privacy Preferences

When you visit our website, it may store information through your browser from specific services, usually in the form of cookies. Here you can change your Privacy preferences. It is worth noting that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our website and the services we are able to offer.

Our website uses cookies, mainly from 3rd party services. Define your Privacy Preferences and/or agree to our use of cookies.