Keeping accounts

Maintaining a common bank account to hold advance payments for repairs is recommended. This account could be managed by your owners’ association or property manager. Creating a Building Reserve Fund provides a way to save for large future repair projects.


A float is a small advance payment kept in your maintenance account or by your property manager/factor. It is used to ensure that money is available to deal with minor repairs quickly, without having to take time to contact each owner.

Maintenance accounts

A maintenance account is used to hold money for upcoming repairs. It is where you keep the float paid by each owner and advance payments for upcoming repairs. The Tenements Act sets out the rules for setting up and managing maintenance accounts.

They must:

  • be held in a bank or building society
  • be interest-bearing accounts
  • require at least two owner signatures or the property manager’s authorisation for making payments

When a repair is planned, and owners are asked to make an advance payment for a repair, they must be told, in writing

  • what the repair is
  • why it is required
  • the estimates received
  • their and other owners’ shares
  • who made the decision to carry out these repairs and when
  • a timetable for the work
  • refund arrangements if the work does not go ahead

Download our repair notification template letter

When you set up a maintenance account, you should ask the bank for a Treasurers Account. You will probably need to have a constituted owners’ association to do this. You will also need a minutes of the owners’ association meeting, showing who is nominated to manage the account.

Next steps

Download a document of the rules for running a Maintenance Account

Legal reference

Building reserve or sinking funds

A building reserve fund or sinking fund is a way of saving for future major repairs. It must be written into your title deeds as this is the only way to ensure that new owners are obliged to pay into the fund.

The building reserve fund is for major repairs, such as replacing lifts or reroofing. Your maintenance account and float are for minor, day-to-day repairs.

When you come to sell your flat, you will be able to tell prospective buyers of the arrangements for keeping the property in good repair, the amount of money in the fund, and what they need to budget each year for repairs. This will be a positive feature in any sale.

1200 800 Under One Roof

Ask for help from our team of tenement experts

Managing and maintaining a tenement building can be difficult. Under One Roof offers a free enquiry service that allows you to ask specific questions relating to your building.

Ask an expert
Privacy policy
Terms of service

Mid ceiling

Below ground level

Your tenement may have a basement, sometimes used for living accommodation or sometimes used for storage, cellars or wash-houses. These buildings will often also have a 'dunny' between the basement…

905 800 Under One Roof

Energy efficiency improvements

Adding insulation and draught-proofing can save money and the planet but in…

2560 1707 Under One Roof

Insulating traditional solid walls

Recent research suggests that traditional solid stone or brick walls provide better…

2560 1707 Under One Roof

Flat roofs

Flat roofs can be found on buildings of all ages. They can…

406 305 Under One Roof

Asphalt flat roofs

On stone tenements, asphalt roofs are found on: 'high backs' - raised backcourt…

406 305 Under One Roof
Start typing
Privacy Preferences

When you visit our website, it may store information through your browser from specific services, usually in the form of cookies. Here you can change your Privacy preferences. It is worth noting that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our website and the services we are able to offer.

Our website uses cookies, mainly from 3rd party services. Define your Privacy Preferences and/or agree to our use of cookies.