Tracing absentee owners

Land ownership is public information, as is the name of landlords.


You can search for the details of a private landlord through the Register of Private Landlords. You will need either a landlord registration number or the postcode of the rental property.

You can also ask the tenant for the name of the flat owner. They may refer you to a letting agent who you can contact. Letting agents in Scotland are required to register and follow a Code of Guidance, which says that agents must respond promptly to any appropriate third parties, ‘particularly where these relate to statutory repairing or maintenance obligations or safety regulations’.

Empty flats

You can find the name of the current owner in the Land Register. Note that it may take a few months to update the register after a sale. You will have to pay a small fee. You can also search the Land Register for other properties owned by a person. This may give you a home address.

If your council has an Empty Homes Officer, contact them for help. You can find a list of Empty Homes Officers for each council and their contact details on the Scottish Empty Homes Partnership website.

If your council does not have an Empty Homes Officer, you can contact the Scottish Empty Homes Partnership.


You can find the names of shop owners and their tenants through the Scottish Assessors website.

Help from your council

If you are trying to carry out common repairs, most local authorities will send a message to the person registered as the property owner on the Council Tax Register. Approach the private sector housing staff for help.

Searching online

Try searching online for the owner if you know the name. You may come across a Facebook page or other reference. If you contact an owner through e.g. Facebook, this will count as an electronic communication. Keep screenshots of such communications for your records.

Sheriff Officers and Private Detectives

This may incur a cost but could be worth it if other methods have failed and you have a lot of money at stake.

900 600 Under One Roof

Ask for help from our team of tenement experts

Managing and maintaining a tenement building can be difficult. Under One Roof offers a free enquiry service that allows you to ask specific questions relating to your building.

Ask an expert
Privacy policy
Terms of service

Mid ceiling

Below ground level

Your tenement may have a basement, sometimes used for living accommodation or sometimes used for storage, cellars or wash-houses. These buildings will often also have a 'dunny' between the basement…

905 800 Under One Roof

Energy efficiency improvements

Adding insulation and draught-proofing can save money and the planet but in…

2560 1707 Under One Roof

Insulating traditional solid walls

Recent research suggests that traditional solid stone or brick walls provide better…

2560 1707 Under One Roof

Flat roofs

Flat roofs can be found on buildings of all ages. They can…

406 305 Under One Roof

Asphalt flat roofs

On stone tenements, asphalt roofs are found on: 'high backs' - raised backcourt…

406 305 Under One Roof
Start typing
Privacy Preferences

When you visit our website, it may store information through your browser from specific services, usually in the form of cookies. Here you can change your Privacy preferences. It is worth noting that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our website and the services we are able to offer.

Our website uses cookies, mainly from 3rd party services. Define your Privacy Preferences and/or agree to our use of cookies.