Newington Cemetery

Visit this 14-acre wildlife haven

How can a community create beautiful spaces?

This 14-acre cemetery dating from 1846 is a peaceful haven and wildlife sanctuary, sometimes known as Ekkie Bank. Architect David Cousin followed 19th-century “garden cemetery movement” principles in its layout, designing the Victorian Gothic entrance lodge, roundel and catacombs. 

Originally a private cemetery, it fell into neglect and was eventually brought into the care of the City of Edinburgh Council in 1994. For the last eight years, the Friends of Newington Cemetery have been working to clear overgrown areas, maintain the cemetery’s notable features and support biodiversity for the benefit of our community. On Doors Open Day, our volunteers will be on hand to answer questions and direct visitors to monuments of interest.

Booking details: 

No advanced booking required

Event information:

Children's activities from 1pm-3:30pm 


Sunday 25th September 

Opening times: 



222B Dalkeith Road

EH16 5DT


  • All outdoor - some bumpy paths