Action on anti-social behaviour

The approach you take to dealing with antisocial behaviour will depend on the type of problems you are experiencing and your own confidence in dealing with people. You may feel more confident with help from other neighbours.

Your choices of action:

  • considered informal approach is generally the best start as it’s least likely to make the situation worse
  • if you have less confidence, use a community mediation scheme
  • if tenants are the problem, ask the landlord to take action
  • you can also ask the Council for help – approach Environmental Health or the Antisocial Behaviour Team
  • where harassment, intimidation or criminal behaviour are involved, you should go directly to the Police or the Council’s Antisocial Behaviour team. (You will find the two normally work closely together).

If involving others, you will need to consider collecting evidence. But do try informal approaches first as these often work.