Corstorphine Heritage Centre - Dower House

Learn the history of this well-loved home

Meet the residents of Dower House

In 1991, the Corstorphine Trust was given use of one of the oldest inhabited buildings in the City of Edinburgh; at that time, it was derelict. However, with the help of funding and support from Historic Scotland, the Lottery Fund and generous bequests, the Trust has managed to bring this local historic building back to life, and it now forms the heart of our community.

It can trace its origins back to 1587 and was in the ownership of James Ingles and J P Wood in his “Draft History of Corstorphine Parish” (written in 1792). The book mentions the stones being removed from the old castle site to build “Mr Michelson’s house that was the residence of the Lord Forresters”. It is sometimes referred to as Gibsone’s Lodge after its late 18th-century occupants, the Gibsones of Pentland.

The building has characteristic Scottish crow-stepped gables and scrolled skew puts. The exterior is harled and lime washed and shows signs of alteration over the years, with both gable ends probably being built at different times.

In 2000, the Corstorphine Trust decided to change the name of the building to the Corstorphine Heritage Centre, which better reflects the use to which it is put today.

It has also become a focal point for concerts, private functions and community groups, and is very much the beating heart of village life.

Booking information:

No advance booking required


Saturday 24th September 

Opening times: 



St Margaret's Park

1A Orchardfield Avenue


EH12 7SX


  • Accessible parking
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Seating
  • Baby feeding and changing area
  • Cafe