Royal Observatory Edinburgh

The observatory carries out astronomical research and university teaching

An astronomical institution located on Blackford Hill in Edinburgh

The Royal Observatory, Edinburgh (ROE) is an astronomical institution on Blackford Hill in Edinburgh.

The site is owned by the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC). The ROE comprises the UK Astronomy Technology Centre (UK ATC) of STFC, the Institute for Astronomy of the School of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Edinburgh, and the ROE Visitor Centre.

The observatory carries out astronomical research and university teaching; design, project management, and construction of instruments and telescopes for astronomical observatories; and teacher training in astronomy and outreach to the public. The ROE Library includes the Crawford Collection of books and manuscripts gifted in 1888 by James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford.

It has participated in Doors Open Days for a number of years, including online offerings over the last two years, and is very excited to invite visitors back to see inside their cutting-edge engineering facilities and our historic telescope dome.


24th and 25th September

Opening times: This event has SOLD OUT!

10am-5pm (last entry 4.15pm)


Blackford Hill




  • Accessible bathroom
  • Seating