Council help with Antisocial Behaviour

Your local council has legal powers to take action against noise and health hazards. Contact the Environmental Health , Antisocial Behaviour or Community Safety Teams.

The types of action that the Council can take include direct action:

  • sending out noise teams to measure noise and asking for it to stop
  • seizing sound equipment
  • working with private landlords

Issuing orders and penalty notices:

  • antisocial behaviour orders with powers of arrest if broken
  • parenting orders
  • closure orders – to close premises that are the focus of constant antisocial behaviour while more long term action is taken
  • serving fixed penalty notices for a range of offences including repeat noise offences, vandalism, drunken behaviour, litter etc.

Council Officers may ask you to help with the process by collecting evidence.

The Council can use powers under a variety of pieces of legislation.

Legal references

Environmental Protection Act 1990

Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982

Antisocial Behaviour (Scotland) Act 2004