If you are considering legal action, it is worth talking to a solicitor first. You may be able to get a free first interview or legal aid - ask your solicitor if you qualify.

You do not need a solicitor to make a small claim. But for claims over £3000, you should find a solicitor and you may find it useful to talk over your situation with a solicitor before going ahead with any particular course of action.

If you do not have a solicitor already or cannot get a recommendation, search on the Law Society of Scotland website. You can search by your area and civil rights or debt recovery (for advice on taking legal action).

Legal aid

You may be entitled to free advice and assistance and legal aid if your savings and income are low or you are on certain benefits. You may be able to get legal help through your trade union or insurer.

Do you qualify for legal aid?

More about legal aid

Free legal advice

Getting free advice